1979 Mercedes 500 SLC Rallye works car
Factory Team 500 SLC Rallye, one of only 2 cars remaining
We are very proud to demonstrate our ultra special 500 SLC Works Rallye car:
Serial number 107 026 12 000 628
Motor number 117 960 12 000 763
First owner Daimler-Chrysler AG (for the Race department) registration number: S - DP 1908 on 02-02-1979. After the last race in December 1980 the car was stored in the factory museum.
Sold on May 17, 2005 to VIP client Claude Ruiz Picasso, France. Never registered and not used by him
Sold on April 30, 2019 to current and second private owner Dirk Libeert, Belgium
- One of 5 cars with consecutive serial numbers (626 to 630) built as a 450 SLC 5.0 Rallye by the race department to compete in the 1979 season of the World championship Rallye as a factory team car. Raced successfully with works team racing drivers Vic Preston and Björn Waldegaard
- Re-homolagated by the factory for the 1980 season as the new 500 SLC Rallye and the actual car for the FIA homologation. One car remained as 450 SLC and was sold, the other cars were destroyed by the factory. In total 6 more 500 SLC Rallye were constructed for the new 1980 season.
After the 1980 season, Mercedes decided not to continue the rally program for 1981 despite the successful results. So 5 cars were destroyed by the factory, only two cars 628 and 2128 with their Bandama (Ivory Coast) race number 6 and 8 were kept and safely stored in the factory museum. Whereas 628 (n°6) was sold to Claude Ruiz Picasso in 2005, 2128 still belongs to the museum, making 628 the only 500 SLC Rallye in private hands.
- 628 remains in exceptional original condition, fully matching numbers and was never crashed. It is in exactly the same condition as it was when finishing its last rally, the Bandama Rally of the Ivory Coast in December 1980. All stickers, lettering, etc. are still on the car and all extra components such as the communication system, original special jack etc. remained with the car.
- The car is still registered on the factory (KFZ Daimler-Chrysler AG) and the both the KFZ as the original number plates are with the car.
- The factory Rallye cars were constructed very differently from the standard 500 SLC cars. Factory documentation shows how intensive the cars were prepared using light weight body and components, different mechanical and technical specification, 330+ HP alloy engine, full rally specifications
- Lots of interesting factory documentation, FIA report, letters, invoices demonstrate the importance of this mile stone car. Unrivalled in its genre, and never offered for sale before.
The special equipment of the 500 SLC Rallye sn. 107 026 12 000 628
- special constructed lightweight body with aluminum doors and hood, and fiber-glass trunk lid. Wheel-arch wideners
- extra strong anti-roll cage, 30 mm instead of usual 25 mm.
- black anti-sunlight front hood specially adapted for impact protection bar
- Front impact protection bar with foldable head light protectors
- 4 extra headlights each individually adjustable by separate control rod, every headlight on separate circuit
- Special high performing 2+2 Bosch headlights
- Reinforced suspension, high set-up
- Stronger and bigger disc brakes
- undercarriage protection in special fiber-glass
- extra water radiator protection at underside, radiator special build in for quick replacement.
- adjustable brake pressure distribution front/rear brakes, command inside cockpit.
- classic foot-brake pedal replaced with hydraulic hand brake system by handle for power drifting
- sport steering wheel, extra foot rest for driver
- special anti-heat insulation in cockpit, roof net for holding equipment
- inter-communication system with original head phones, original antenna + micro phone
- twin set lightweight racing batteries
- side windows manually operated, special door panels to hold documents and paperwork
- OMP racing seats with seat belts
- special extra secondary starter button
- 3 windshield washers, operated by foot knob button on navigator right side, feeding by dual pump system in cockpit.
- at left side, similar button for operating the horns.
- Extra big capacity water tank fitted into the fire wall.
- extra fuel system actioned by extra button for cold start and hot start operation.
- dual fuel system, twin fuel pumps and filters
- 120 liter special fiber-glass gas tank, secured oil and gas tank knobs
- both exterior and interior contact break knobs, individually operated
- All aluminum air intake filter system, air intake operated open/close with interior handle. In closed position (safety
reasons) , a bypass system connected with the interior/cockpit provided air stream
- special extra-large jacks, spare wheels quick release fit, 4 extra wheels with rain tires, twin pull hooks front and rear
I have many period pictures, and spectacular movies from the car in rally events
It is very unusual to find a race or rally car in such Incredible original condition, and therefor it is a real blue chip investment being also a milestone in Mercedes Benz racing history.
It is the first factory built competition car after the dramatic accident in the 1955 Le Mans 24 H. race involving the Mercedes 300 SLR.
If you are interested in having more information please call me at ++32.477.543.017 - Dirk Libeert